Sonic Wings Special is a top-down shoot-em-up game
|Control||In Game||Menu Screens|
|Control Pad||Move Fighter||Change Selection|
|X Button||Special Weapon||Cancel|
|Circle Button||Rapid Fire||Confirm|
|R Button||Toggle Score|
|Start Button||Pause Game||Start Game|
|L + R + Start Button||Save Game – between levels only|
- Firepower (looks like a bullet with a ‘P’ symbol). Increases your firepower by one level (maximum varies depending on selected pilot/plane). At maximum level, firepower will eventually revert to the next-lowest level. Collecting at maximum firepower will grant 2000 points and reset time until weapon reverting.
- Special Weapon Ammo (looks like a bomb with a ‘B’ symbol). Adds 1 to your stock of special weapon ammo (maximum varies depending on selected pilot/plane).
- Full Power (looks like a bullet with a red ‘F’ symbol) Instantly increases your firepower to the maximum.
- Bonus (varies depending on selected pilot. Can look like a dollar sign, yen sign, ‘R’, or ‘Kr’). Grants bonus points. Usually 200, but can be up to 10,000. Exact point-value depends on the bonus’ position on the screen.
- Game Start – Start a new game. You will only be able to select from the default pilots and
- Data Load – Load previously-saved data. You can save in-between levels by holding L+R and
- Time Attack – Play through a special mode, fighting 6 of the main-game bosses one after
another. They’ve been made stronger than before and you need to beat them as fast as possible.
- Options – Change the game’s difficulty, controls, Monitor Type and sound-options.
- Level – Change the game’s difficulty. Allows you to change the enemy difficulty and
amount of credits you have. You may have more credits on lower difficulty levels.
- Control – Change the control scheme. Control pad up/down changes the action being
edited, left/right changes the button performing the action. Note that this game will not allow one button assigned to multiple actions simultaneously, so you may have to change an action to the ‘-‘ button to free up whatever button
it was using.
- Monitor Type – Change the monitor type. Normal is a normal TV screen that shows only part of the game area, Scroll is a screen that will move up/down along with you but can make it hard to follow the action. Arcade turns the scren on its side, showing all the action at once. This option is slightly more viable on the PSP.
- Sound – Swap the audio between Stereo and Mono, and access the Sound Test
- Save – Saves option data
- Load – Loads previously-saved option data. This includes unlocked special fighters.
- Exit – Return to the title screen
- Don’t forget to save! Game settings and game progress are saved SEPERATELY. Loading game progress without loading game settings will start you on Normal with 9 Continues.
- After you beat the game with a character, you will unlock his Secret Fighter. Unlock all the Secret Fighters to unlock bonus characters!
- Don’t be afraid to use your Special Weapons. You won’t get any special end-of-level bonus for not using them.
- Each character has their own unique normal and special weaponry. Experiment to find which character is easiest for you.